Ready & Steady – A Plan for Better Balance is another Pines of Sarasota outreach program. We are raising awareness in our community of the critical need for falls prevention in older adults in order to prolong their lives and quality of life. Take our free falls risk assessment and get a recommended action plan from our certified rehabilitation therapists about how you can lessen your risk of falls.
Ready & Steady - Overview, Stats & Problem
Falls A National Health Issue
According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, falls are the leading cause of fatal and nonfatal injuries for older Americans. Falls threaten seniors’ safety and independence and generate enormous economic and personal costs. Alarming statistics include:
- One-third of Americans 65 and older fall each year
- Every 20 minutes, an older adult dies from a fall
- Falls result in more than 2.8 million injuries treated in emergency departments annually, including over 800,000 hospitalizations, 300,000 hip fractures and more than 27,000 deaths
- In 2013, the total cost of fall injuries was $34 billion
- The financial toll for older adult falls is expected to increase as the population ages and may reach $68 billion by 2020
- Those who fall once are two to three times more likely to fall again – in many cases due to a fear of falling. Because of this fear, they limit their activities and social engagements, resulting in further physical decline, depression and social isolation
Do You Need to Be Assessed?
Take Our Risk Assessment Quiz, and See How You Balance Out
A fall, as defined by the World Health Organization is an event which results in a person coming down to rest independently on the ground or floor or other level (wall, furniture, chair, couch). Answer these questions to see where your risk may be.